iOS users are installing Apple’s latest operating system at roughly the same pace iOS 8 was installed last year, according to multiple analytics companies that are tracking iOS 9 adoption rates. iOS 9 has now been available for download for just over 24 hours.
Mixpanel’s live iOS 9 tracking site suggests iOS 9 is now installed on approximately 12.60 percent of devices, which is in line with iOS 8 adoption rates in 2014.
"iOS 9 has received 12% adoption in the last 24 hours and is being adopted similar to iOS 8 last year. This kind of adoption took Android’s latest operating system, Lollipop, in comparison 5 months to achieve. One huge advantage Apple got right this year over last year was that the update is much smaller than last year (3.5x smaller) < Apple has empathy for its users who have nearly maxed out the space on their phones. However, one issue for it being substantially slow compared to iOS 7 is that servers are having trouble keeping up right now as people update."
Because each analytics site tracks a different selection of iOS users based on app installs, iOS 9 installation numbers vary quite a bit across platforms. All of the sites tracking iOS 9 adoption agree that it is on pace with adoption numbers seen after iOS 8 was released last year, however. Tapjoy is seeing adoption rates spanning from 4 percent to 7 percent, based on device, while Fiksu is seeing 6 percent of its users running iOS 9.
Two years ago, iOS 7 saw much quicker adoption rates than we’re seeing with iOS 9, but that is not surprising as iOS 7 marked the last major design update to the operating system. iOS 8 and iOS 9 brought many new features, but few visual changes.
What is surprising is that iOS 9 adoption is not outpacing iOS 8 adoption because iOS 9 has a much smaller installation size. While iOS 8 required 4.58 GB to install, iOS 9 only requires 1.3 GB, making it much more accessible to users who have little space open on their devices.
Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Amazon Debuts New Fire TV with 4K Video & Alexa Voice Assistant
• Apple Watch Launches in Belgium on September 19 Alongside Brussels Apple Store Opening
• T-Mobile Expands Simple Global Coverage to All of Europe and South America
• Inside iOS 9: Under-the-Hood Improvements for Battery Life, Security, and More
• iMovie for iOS Gains Support for 4K Video, 3D Touch
• Inside iOS 9: A More Intelligent OS With Proactive Suggestions and Siri Improvements
• Inside iOS 9: Split-Screen Multitasking for the iPad
• Inside iOS 9: Apple News Delivers the Latest Stories to Your Device
from MacRumors: Mac News and Rumors – Front Page http://ift.tt/1QJkpCC